Friday, May 17, 2013

The Art of the #Selfie

So many of my friends rue the day that the cell phone companies decided to put forward facing camera's in our smart phones. They are annoyed with the inadequate attempts by women to take a good photo of themselves. I personally have no problem with #selfies. What I have a problem with is bad #selfies. I pay a lot of attention to the photos that my friends post of themselves on Instagram and Facebook, and I have picked up on a few patterns that I think are a recipe for a successful and fun #selfie that will keep people from rolling their eyes at you:


Location, location, location. Nobody wants to see your toilet bowl, or cat litter box in the background. Don't be so consumed with your own image that you couldn't be bothered to pay attention to what is right behind you.


Keep the visual of your phone out of the picture. I mean come on!


Take multiple photos. I promise you if you take twenty pictures in rapid-fire succession at least four of them will capture the real you. That moment when you allow yourself to drop your guard and be vulnerable in front of the camera will be your very best.


Don't be afraid to look directly into the camera. I mean you're already taking your own photo you might as well commit to it and own the moment.


Don't be afraid to play with the different angles of your own face. You may be surprised to find you look amazing from a slightly different view than you get in your bathroom mirror. A from the ground up #selfie can reveal that amazing jawline that you never knew you had. Dead on with a duck lipped pose isn't always as hot as the club chicks would like you to think it is.


Broaden your definition of a #selfie. Your face doesn't always have to be in the photo for it to be fun and inspiring. Quite frankly you don't even need to be looking at the camera to take a great #selfie. Get over yourself Narcissist!


Have fun with it! If you can't be honest with yourself about who you are in this moment well then..... you probably just can't be honest.


Here are a few examples of some of favorite #selfies. I hope they inspire you!












No comments:

Post a Comment